Women's Long skirts
Welcome back to femininity, with the brand-new long skirts to wear both day and night. The latest trends of women's fashion see its great return. The best luxury brands have decided to bring many types of long skirts on catwalks, from denim to patchwork, to delicate pleated skirts and to those decidedly couture, suitable for the most important occasions.
Long skirts even during the day? Yes, but with the right fabrics and accessories to create the perfect outfit
While once the long skirt was intended only for evening occasions, starting from the 70s this elegant feminine garment became made in casual fabrics such as denim, linen and cotton, which lightened the mood of its lines giving a touch of glamour to the day outfits.
And it’s precisely to 70s fashion that are inspired the latest creations of the trendiest designers, who bring back on runways the wide hippy-style skirts, like the eyelet lace ones by Ermanno Scervino, the crochet long skirts by Altuzarra, or those by Chloé, with patchwork-effect cotton. As well as the colonial-style linen skirts proposed by Theory, See by Chloè, Alexander Wang and Prada or as the faded effect by Avant Toi.
The denim skirt is one of the most loved by international fashion influencers, who combine the long models designed by Philosophy by Lorenzo Serafini, Dsquared2 and J Brand both with trainers and the cowgirl-style boots.
What to wear with the daytime long skirt? A shirt knotted at the waist, for example, or an oversize sweatshirt so fashionable this year.
Shapes and particular details. Here's how to choose the right long skirt for you
This season fashion designers have given free rein to their imagination by creating many models of skirts that fit with all the types of silhouette, focusing especially their attention on details:
- 50s-style for the printed cotton skirts created by Marni, perfect for curvy lines and for who wants an elegant and seductive look
- Triumph of asymmetries, perfect for who loves a cutting-edge style, for the paisley skirts by Etro and those with handkerchief hems by Loewe
- Late 70s for the long wallet skirt, which elongates the figure, designed by both Valentino Red and Diane Von Furstenberg
- Great return of wide pleated skirts, like the long kilt made in traditional tartan fabric by Burberry and MM6 Maison Margiela, those with patchwork-effect prints by Alice + Olivia or with 70s-style geometric patterns by Gucci
- Small pleats instead for the tennis-style skirts by Valentino, the faded-effect ones by Max Mara or the multicolored long skirts by Kenzo, Blumarine and Givenchy
- Small ruffles for the floral printed skirts by Double J
- Large flounces instead decorate the floral organza skirts by Johanna Ortiz and Giorgio Armani, the asymmetrical ones by Norma Kamali and the gypsy-style models by Alexis
- Deep and sensual slits for who wants to be seductive even during the day, with the models by Erika Cavallini and Bevza
Elegance and cheerfulness for the nicest prints and colors of the season
To give a touch of carefreeness to your daytime look, there’s nothing better than focusing on colors and prints.
Among the most romantic motifs, there are certainly the floral prints, proposed in different variants by many designers. Dolce & Gabbana for example, make their floral prints very iconic combining them tone-on-tone with blouses, bags and shoes with the same patterns. The floral motifs become maxi for Peter Pilotto or 70s-tapestry-style for 3.1 Phillip Lim and Diane Von Furstenberg.
For who wants a carefree and cheerful mood, there are the Twinset’s tender prints with butterfly flights, but also the revitalizing effects of color-blocks proposed by Chiara Boni and M.S.G.M.
If instead you want to have a sensual and refined look, you could opt for the beautiful animal prints by Ganni, Saint Laurent and Dolce & Gabbana or for the ethnic patterns by Etro, Alberta Ferretti and Zadig & Voltaire.
Striped and polka-dot prints, proposed by Max Mara, Brunello Cucinelli and Tory Burch, are timeless classics that matches with accessories and clothing in both basic and bolder colors. A classic black skirt instead, like those by Burberry, will be perfect if cheered-up by a printed top and colorful accessories.
Couture effects for long evening skirts
What to wear for an important occasion or a social event? In place of a cocktail or evening dress, you could opt for a combination of top and long skirt, to match strictly with beautiful sandals or very high-heeled pump shoes and an elegant clutch.
Among the various couture models offered by the most prestigious brands, there are many seasonal novelties. For an important evening event there are the very sensual trumpet long skirts proposed by Rick Owens and Antonio Berardi, the decidedly couture tulip-line ones by The Row, the satin sarong types made in strong shades by Balenciaga or printed by Derek Lam.
For a night at disco, are perfect the sparkling long skirts by Philosophy by Lorenzo Serafini, Michael Kors and Versace. While if the occasion is more elegant and requires a sophisticated style, there are the wonderful long skirts decorated with fringes by Alberta Ferretti or the Moschino and Max Mara’s lace types.
To perfect the outfit you could wear a beautiful top and an elegant stole, but especially you could make your style even more precious and special with a refined jewel.